Re: Intergrate Heimdal's hdb-ldap and Samba

On Sun, 2004-02-29 at 15:44, Love wrote:
> Andrew Bartlett <abartlet@samba.org> writes:
>
> > I realise it is not indented per the rest of heimdal (that was not a big
> > concern when creating it :-), but I'll happly re-indent if you can give
> > me your preferred indent command line.
> >
> > Is this something that is of interest to Heimdal?
>
> Yes, they are. The only thing I find a problem right now is that you change
> HDBEntry and that can't really be done in a backward compatiable manner (ie
> running diffrent major version of the kdc in the same realm). The idea we
> have is that we should have a CHOICE (or something to that effekt).

Oops - I'll need to learn a bit more about how HDBentry works :-)

Is is at all possible to have the hdb directly stored in the database be
different to that used as an internal data strucutre?  I know it removes
some of the beauty of the system, but in Samba we have found it very,
very useful.  In particular, I extended it to support attributes that
your kadmin protocol knows about, but your HDB doesn't :-)

Also, I would like to have a 'plaintext password' attribute passed
around, so that we can use it in a number of 'password syncronisation'
areas.

> Have you (as in the samba people) given any thought to how to implement AES
> keys in you LDAP schema ? I guess there might be more enctypes sometime in
> the future.

That's not an issue for Samba right now - the NTLM authentication scheme
is stuck at MD4 passwords, and is unlikaly to move further than that.
That is what Kerberos is for ;-)

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet@pcug.org.au