Re: Time to Display My Ignorance, or What Is This Packet Anyway?

Offtopic  but spinning on the Krb4 thread

I would love to add Krb4 to ethereal, I have a packet encoding description
(
                                                 PROJECT ATHENA TECHNICAL PLAN
  OWL

                                                                 Section E.2.1

                              Kerberos Authentication and Authorization System

              by S. P. Miller, B. C. Neuman, J. I. Schiller, and J. H. Saltzer
)

but no test packets to work with, and i dont want to implement it
without being able to test it.

If anyone out there wants ethereal to support Krb4 and is able to
produce network captures containing Krb4 and share them with me, and
is available when I ask stupid questions about Krb4   like how many
ports are used, which ports are used etc etc, I am all game.

Why implement Krb4, a dead protocol, in ethereal?
For completeness.
We would like to be able to deal with all packets that pass across a
network regardless of whether they are standard or modern or what.
(We do support for example   several different and incompatible
versions of the iscsi protocol from early drafts, not because it is
fun or cool  but because some of the pre-standard drafts are actually
used by real-world implementations that real people use. Not many, but
some do use very early iscsi-draft-8 implementations.)