Re: cracklib password check

Well I am curious if this work is of some real use.  If there is a
better a place to run checks instead of directly against the KDC, then
I'll not bother.  Most Unix-likes have PAM, so I figure that is where
most people would place checks(otherwise, why wouldn't someone have done
this earlier?) in that environment.  However, Kerberos in a mixed
Unix/Windows environment might need a centralized checking system.  So,
I am curious if I am not working on something anyone needs.

There's problems for both which lead me to wonder:
On Heimdal stand-alone -  The current api's for password checking in
Heimdal do not pass the last password which prevents comparing it
against the new.  Heimdal really should send back the last password(at
least in kpasswdd), but I'll have to see what is involved in that.

On the SAMBA integration - smbk5pwd appears on glance to just get enough
from Heimdal to apply password changes directly in ldap.  If so, then it
would not do password checks when changes come from SAMBA.  Would it be
possible for smbk5pwd to even notify SAMBA of bad passwords if it did?

To me it appears that no one is/has really considering checking password
strength at the KDC, so I would like to know why.