Future of kerberised telnet, login, rsh, ftp?

As a relative newcomer to the kerberos world, I'm wondering what the
future of tools like kerberised telnet, rsh, ftp and the like is.  It
seems from my viewpoint that OpenSSH (with the gssapi mode) and things
like pam_krb5 have taken over from these tools.

I note that recent security advisories for both distributions were in
these 'utility' programs (telnet, ftpd etc) rather than in the core
kerberos code.

Do these tools still have wide use?  Is there a plan to phase them out,
or maintain them separately to the main kerberos distribution?

(This was brought up by a look we are taking on samba-technical about
what proportion of Heimdal to import, with a strong view to avoid
including these apps).

Andrew Bartlett

This is a digitally signed message part