Re: Future of kerberised telnet, login, rsh, ftp?

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 19:18 -0400, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>
> > Now, if it happened (as the MIT folks indicated) that these utilities
> > were being split out from the main tarball, then I would have less files
> > to watch, and I would not have security auditors telling me that Samba4
> > is vulnerable to issues in programs we don't ship, but are included in
> > the same upstream Heimdal version number.
>
> The MIT folks have made no statements regarding the intended directory
> of the Heimdal distribution.  We can only speak for our own distribution.

And I meant no implication otherwise: the Samba folks don't speak for
Samba-TNG either!  I simply meant to illustrate my point with a concrete
example about the splitting of the apps from the main tarball.

I'm also not saying such bundling is bad: the Samba Team could be
accused of the same bundling, and each project has it's reasons for
their distribution structure, but I find this discussion interesting and
the possible outcomes quite useful to my particular corner case.

Andrew Bartlett

This is a digitally signed message part