Re: Smbk5pwd and Heimdal 0.7 not playing nice?

Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> On Aug 2, 2005, at 7:15 PM, Howard Chu wrote:
>
>> You cannot use two different Kerberos libraries in the same program.
>
> In general.
>
> However I'm playing with a Sun LDAP plugin that uses Heimdal while the
> Sun LDAP server itself links Sun's GSSAPI libraries.  The plugin does
> password checking, and the GSSAPI supports SASL binds.  The kerb 5 is
> used for different things, and I'm pretty sure I can get away with it.
> The plugin is statically linked against Heimdal.
>
> Never say never.  ;-)

Probably should have said *shared* libraries. Static linking will of
course let you get around a lot of the problems, if you can accept the
space tradeoff. For code that's only used in one or two instances in a
running system (like a server plugin) that's frequently an acceptable
choice.

>> As a general rule, the MIT Kerberos libraries are unsafe for use in
>> threaded programs. They are known to cause memory leaks and SEGVs when
>> linked into slapd. These problems do not occur when using the Heimdal
>> libraries. The OpenLDAP project recommends against using the MIT
>> libraries.

> The MIT 1.4.x releases are thread safe.

That has yet to be proven over time; the Heimdal libraries have been
used without trouble in OpenLDAP for at least the past 4 years. The 1.4
MIT libraries have thus far only proven themselves to be ten times
slower than Heimdal (when soaking an OpenLDAP server with GSSAPI Binds).

--
   -- Howard Chu