host addresses in AS and TGS REQ

Dear All,

Have recently read about the hostaddresses field in AS and TGS being optional. Is it true?
This question because, when I send wrong host address in this field with service as 'ldap' it is passing through, but with 'smtpsvc' it is not. Have anyone of you observed similar issue? Can I remove this feild (if it is optional) because in my setup getting correct host address is difficult. I tried this setup it is working fine. Wanted to know if this may have any impact?

When compared to MIT why was this field introduced?

thanks in advance.
-tameem ahmed khan