Re: More Possible Issues with 20060826 snapshot

On Sep 25, 2006, at 1:50 PM, Love Hörnquist Åstrand wrote:

> 25 sep 2006 kl. 09.13 skrev Henry B. Hotz:
>
>> First, should I expect that I can import a dump from 0.5nb into
>> that snapshot?  It appears that I can't, but I haven't checked the
>> dump format to ensure they're supposed to be compatible.

I know that some keys didn't import properly.  This is not a large
DB.  What I actually did IIRC is initdb, dump, load/import old db, re-
merge the initdb dump.  I wanted the infrastructure to be modern, but
to preserve the old keys, what there were of them anyway.

>> Second, is kadmin -l dump --decrypt supposed to still work?  I get
>> an encrypted database dump whether I use that option or not.
>> Perhaps you're intending to do away with that option as a safety
>> measure?  (I happen to like being able to dump a cross-realm key
>> from one Heimdal and reload it into another.)
>
> I would assume you could (for both), I guess I need to generate
> some dump-files and try for myself
> (and add to the regression suite).
>
> Love

Actually it's not completely encrypted or decrypted.  Out of 18
entries, 10 are encrypted, but I get the same dump with or without
the --decrypt flag though.  (diff says so.)  Which is which does not
match up with what you'd expect from the above setup process.

I can't seem to find the stash file where kdc.conf says it should
be.  One of the known, functioning keys looks encrypted which doesn't
seem right.  I can't prove that the original encrypted dump was
imported with the right master key available.  I think I'm looking at
some second-order effects, since the inconsistencies seem too large,
and that doesn't explain which keys are encrypted vice not.

If the (original) problem is a now-missing master key stash, then it
seems that an error message should have shown up somewhere.
----