Re: Preauthentication failed

Michael B Allen wrote:

> On Tue, 15 May 2007 14:00:57 +0200
> Florian Erfurth <floh-erfurth@arcor.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi, I followed the steps described in http://www.grolmsnet.de/kerbtut/.
>> Unfortunatelly I get a error if I enter following:
>> >>>
>> -bash-3.00# kinit -k -t /usr/local/etc/apache2/bsdflohkeytab
>> HTTP/BSDfloh.domain.tld
>> kinit: krb5_get_init_creds: Preauthentication failed
>> <<<
>>
>> How can I find out, why the preauthentication is failed? Could anyone of
>> you point a hint, what could be wrong?
>>
>> I'm using FreeBSD 6.2 and Windows 2003 is installed as Domain Controller.
>>

> Preauthentication failed ~= bad password
>
> The key, enctype or version number doesn't match what the Windows KDC
> has. Re-run ktpass.exe and copy the keytab file over again.

See below.

>> PS2: How do I know more from my keytab-file (I need info about kvno,
>> principal name and encryption type)?
>
> $ ktutil -k keytab list

Thank you very much. Now I was able to check the keytab. I did following
commands:

-bash-3.00# kinit florian.erfurth@DOMAIN.TLD
florian.erfurth@DOMAIN.TLD's Password:
kinit: NOTICE: ticket renewable lifetime is 10 hours
-bash-3.00# kgetcred HTTP/BSDfloh.domain.tld@DOMAIN.TLD
-bash-3.00# klist -v
Credentials cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_0
        Principal: florian.erfurth@DOMAIN.TLD
    Cache version: 4

Server: krbtgt/DOMAIN.TLD@DOMAIN.TLD
Ticket etype: arcfour-hmac-md5, kvno 2
Auth time:  May 18 20:39:28 2007
End time:   May 19 03:19:31 2007
Renew till: May 19 06:39:28 2007
Ticket flags: renewable, initial, pre-authenticated
Addresses: IPv4:192.168.0.120

Server: HTTP/BSDfloh.domain.tld@DOMAIN.TLD
Ticket etype: des-cbc-md5, kvno 3
Auth time:  May 18 20:39:28 2007
Start time: May 18 20:39:31 2007
End time:   May 19 03:19:31 2007
Ticket flags: pre-authenticated
Addresses: IPv4:192.168.0.120

-bash-3.00# ktutil -k bsdflohkeytab list
bsdflohkeytab:

Vno  Type         Principal
  3  des-cbc-md5  HTTP/BSDfloh.domain.tld@DOMAIN.TLD
-bash-3.00# kinit -k -t /usr/local/etc/apache2/bsdflohkeytab
HTTP/BSDfloh.domain.tld
kinit: krb5_get_init_creds: Preauthentication failed
-bash-3.00#
<<<

I hope someone of you could point what is wrong. If I compare the outputs
of 'ktutil -k bsdflohkeytab list' with 'klist -v', it seems to be ok. Am I
right?
Notice that klist -v tells, that the ticket flag of the server is
pre-authenticated, so why tells does Preauthentication fail if I try with
the command 'kinit -k -t /usr/local/etc/apache2/bsdflohkeytab'? O_o

If I forget some necessary information for finding out my fault, then let me
know, please.

Thank you very much.
cu Floh