krb5_get_init_creds_opt_set_pkinit() API Help

The specific problem I have is how do I prevent the command line
prompt generated by this call.  I've traced it as far as _krb5_load_id
(), but . . .

I may not be asking the right list, because the prompt is "PIN code
for SCR331 USB Smart Card Reader 0 0:".  It may be generated by the
OpenSC pkcs11 library rather than Heimdal, but I still need to
suppress it because my login module already has the PIN/password and
already knows whether it's a PIN or a password before it enters the
Kerberos code.

Now I have some other questions about this module:

What are the flags?  Zero seems to work for me, but why might it be 2
or some other value?

Why is the prompter function a required argument, if it's not used?

Shouldn't there be a config option for the PK ID value (the -C
argument to kinit)?  In my case it's an interface library for a card
reader, it ought to default to some value for a given system.