Re: preauth_always option?

On Thu, 29 May 2008 12:26:26 -0400
Ken Raeburn <raeburn@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> On May 29, 2008, at 10:03, Douglas E. Engert wrote:
> > Michael B Allen wrote:

> >> I do not think that should be too much of a problem.
> >
> > Java-1.4 had this same problem with Windows AD as the KDC. The
> > client assumed
> > it knew the salt for a DES key, and sent the timestamp encrypted
> > with the wron
> > key which produced an failed error. But the client did not retry.
> > Java-1.6 fixes the problem.
>
> I was talking with someone last night about some similar stuff for the
> MIT implementation.  One idea we were kicking around was to cache per-
> principal or per-user information on a client (with caveats about user
> privacy issues) so that, for example, kinit (or login/pam) could first
> try authenticating using the preauth scheme and enctype and salt (and
> whatever else) that were used the last time for the same user.

It had occured to me that the "salt hint" should be dealt with outside the
get_in_tkt loop. But it's not obvious to me as to how one can retrieve the
ETYPE_INFO after a successful AS-REQ such that it can be cached in some
way whether it by in a static variable or a file on the client. I suppose
there could be a set of krb5_get_init_creds_opt_{get,set}_etype_info
functions.

Mike

--
Michael B Allen