Re: Ultra-modern autootols toolchain (autoconf > 2.61, automake >1.10) required?

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 16:28 +0200, Buchan Milne wrote:
> For one correction to configure (I will evaluate if it is still necessary), I
> need to call autoreconf.
>
> In 1.2, configure.in seems to require a really modern (aka, only distros < 6
> months will have them) toolchain.
>
> Is there a reason for r this requirement, or is it just what it was tested
> with?
>
> I've hacked the requirements down to autoconf 2.59 and automake 1.9 (which is
> what RHEL4 has), and the build completed successfully.
>
> Unfortunately, it's a pain to have ultra-modern autotools on  older distros,
> and requiring such a modern autotools toolchain can limit the platforms
> significantly ...
>
> I can test a bit further back (RHEL3, RHEL2.1, Mandriva 10.0 etc.) if the only
> reason was "we couldn't test it".

Yeah, this bit me with building on current debian testing (had to grab
it from Experimental) and on Fedora 9 (grabbed some stuff from rawhide).

I think we need a configure for configure ;-)

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett
http://samba.org/~abartlet/