Passepartout is an Open Source* Desktop Publishing* application for the X Window System*. The goal of this project is to create a system capable of producing pre-press material of professional quality, but also to be a useful tool for any enthusiast with access to a printer. The main focus is on making it easy for the user to create publications with a flexible layout, typical examples being magazines, brochures and leaflets.
Passepartout is still in the early stages of development, but it is already quite usable. It should compile on most Unix-like operating systems. The source code is available here.
- 2007, August 05: Release 0.7.0
0.7.0 is released!
Some of the changes:
- Build against gtkmm-2.4/libgnomecanvasmm-2.6/libsigc++-2.0
- Use the new FileChooserDialog.
- Full screen mode.
- Control scaling and shearing.
- 2007, July 01: Release 0.6.90
0.6.90 is a prerelease for 0.7.
- 2007, May 23: Passepartout in Gnome Bugzilla
You can now report Passepartout bugs in Gnome Bugzilla, thanks to Sven Herzberg.
Passepartout version 0.6 features:
- A user-friendly GTK+-based interface
- Layout templates
- An XML-based typesetting engine called xml2ps
- User-defined text formatting with XSLT stylesheets
- Unicode support
- Importing EPS (Encapsulated PostScript) files
- Importing images in JPEG, TIFF, PNG (no transparency), XPM, PNM, RAS, BMP and GIF format
- Text running around image (or text) frames
- Printing to PDF, PostScript and EPS
- Support for Type1 and TrueType fonts