Re: cvs and heimdal

Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au> writes:
> 0.1j still has the same problem with my password not being accepted.
> I haven't yet had time to investigate properly, so I may have done
> something stupid, but I did install the latest version, killed the old
> kdc, and restarted a new copy of kdc.

Try 0.1l :-(

> cvs produces the same error, but I didn't expect much since I don't have
> a valid ticket.

That's a little bit hard because both cvs and gssapi are quite bad at
reporting errors in some useful way.  I'm working on fixing that.

> Some other comments:
>
> 1. Since 0.1h running config.status to update the Makefiles (ie this is
> what configure does internally) is extremely slow (ie 15 seconds per
> Makefile). I have no idea why - it seems to be spending a lot of time
> in sed though (which hasn't changed).

I think that autoconf runs sed in several invocations to avoid
problems with seds that have low limits.

> 2. Running "make" has encounters problems when the build directory
> doesn't equal the source directory:
>
> [523] [snoopy:bam] ~/cvswork/heimdal/build >make
> cd .. && aclocal -I ../cf
> aclocal: couldn't open directory `../cf': No such file or directory
> make: *** [../aclocal.m4] Error 2
>
> (actually, I would rather if the Makefile didn't try to recreate
> these files - but my use of CVS confuses it, probably by missing up the
> time stamps.)
>
> The above command line should read:
>
> cd .. && aclocal -I cf
>
> as the first cd .. changes to the correct directory.
>
> This looks like a problem with automake, but I may be wrong.

Yes, it looks like it doesn't absolutify .. correctly.  A work-around
might be to give an absolute path to configure.

> 3. Running "make check" has two problems. The first one:
> Making check in editline
> make[2]: Entering directory `/homes/bam/cvswork/heimdal/build/lib/editline'
> make  check-local
> make[3]: Entering directory `/homes/bam/cvswork/heimdal/build/lib/editline'
>
> I have to push Ctrl+D to get it to continue.  I believe the make file
> is trying to invoke "testit --version" but this operation is not supported.

Yes, that's exactly what's happening.  We should either teach testit
about `--version' or do some automake tricks.

> 4. Continued from above:
>
> Making check in krb5
> make[2]: Entering directory `/homes/bam/cvswork/heimdal/build/lib/krb5'
> cd ../../.. && automake --foreign lib/krb5/Makefile
> make  n-fold-test string-to-key-test
> make[3]: Entering directory `/homes/bam/cvswork/heimdal/build/lib/krb5'
> cd ../../.. && automake --foreign lib/krb5/Makefile
> ../../libtool --mode=link gcc  -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wbad-function-cast -Wmissing-declarations -Wnested-externs -g -O2  -o n-fold-test  n-fold-test.o libkrb5.la -lresolv
> gcc -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wbad-function-cast -Wmissing-declarations -Wnested-externs -g -O2 -o .libs/n-fold-test n-fold-test.o -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib/heimdal/lib .libs/libkrb5.so -lresolv -lresolv

Yes, some libraries are missing here when building with shared
libraries.  (They're not actually needed, but...).  I have fixed that
in the current code, but since the test cases test against the new
code anyway and won't work correctly in 0.1* I won't send you any
patches.

/assar