Re: domain/realm-mapping

:
> In my opinion Heimdal should be aware of NIS-configurations like ours,
> because they aren't very uncommon.

Hi again,

After looking in the source of heimdal, I have an idea, how the desired
behavior (Heimdal uses FQDN instead of crippled NIS hostnames) can be
achieved:

Patch  function  "roken_gethostby{name|addr}()" in
   "./lib/roken/roken_gethostname.c", which does
 	- dns_lookup( hostname,"A") or
          dns_lookup("%d.%d.%d.%d.in-addr.arpa", "PTR")
        - return first string of first A RR (fqdn) if dns_query succeeds,
          NULL otherwise.

This behaviour may be switched by an compiler-switch. (i suggest
"FORCE_DNSNAMES")

Would this do the job or are there better ways to do this?

If I implement this, is there a chance that the patch is applied to official
heimdal release?

Regards,
   Holger

 Holger van Lengerich - University of Paderborn - Dept. of Computer Science
  System-Administration - Warburger Str. 100 - D 33098 Paderborn - Germany
   mailto:gimli@uni-paderborn.de - http://www.uni-paderborn.de/admin/gimli