From: Henry B. Hotz [mailto:hotz@jpl.nasa.gov]
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 4:09 PM
To: Kent Wu (RD-US); heimdal-discuss@sics.se
Subject: Re: how to achieve what kinit does programmatically?

At 11:53 AM -0700 5/29/03, Kent_Wu@trendmicro.com wrote:
>Hi:
>	I can use "kinit" to get a TGT from a win2000 KDC in my
>Solaris machine and I also assume there must be Kerberos API's to
>achieve the same thing programmatically in C. However I couldn't
>find too much info on this. Could anyone kindly tell me the correct
>way to do it?
>	Another odd thing is in my /usr/lib/krb5 folder I can find
>some kerberos libraries which contains some API symbols like
>krb5_init_context however I couldn't find any man page for this
>function. Do I miss something here or  I need to download separate
>Kerberos library to do this?

This question properly should go to an MIT Kerberos list, but I've
been looking into it myself so here goes:

OSX includes the latest MIT K5 release, however it does not include
the man pages or documentation.  What you need to do is go to the MIT
site and download the latest source distribution.  That will include,
among other things, some TeX documentation which is pretty complete.

Now is it accurate?  I do know that it documents a
get-tgt-with-password type function that exists, but is different
from the function actually used by either NetBSD/Heimdal kinit or MIT
kinit (which are different from each other as well).  In other words
just because MIT has more documentation than Heimdal doesn't mean
it's better. |-(

What I intend to do in my "copious free time" is try lifting code
from the MIT kinit source and seeing if I can get that to work.  I
was not successful in getting the documented routine to work.

I also looked at the GSSAPI documentation from Sun and it appears
that that API assumes you already have a tgt (unless you're a
server).  I think SASL wraps GSSAPI so that wouldn't solve the
problem either.