Re: Failure Rate for Heimdal SW?

On Aug 13, 2004, at 12:05 AM, Niklas Edmundsson wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>
>> I have one of those availability requirements that says Kerberos
>> can't fail for more than X hours per year.  Now I've got good
>> historical data on the hardware/OS that I can put in that form.
>>
>> Anybody got any "software failures" which are remotely statistical in
>> nature? Any ideas on how to assign an availability number to the
>> software component? Any failures that require/cause a Kerberos
>> restart?
>
> Would security-related bugs count as a software failure?

I don't think so.  It's an availability requirement.  You could
discover a vulnerability and then fix it a few days or hours later, but
Kerberos wouldn't be unavailable for the duration.

> By "Kerberos", do you mean the Kerberos server(s) or the entire
> Heimdal package?

The "service", which I would interpret to be the server.  The client SW
is whatever comes with the OS and isn't what the central on-line
service provides.
----