Re: Trouble bootstapping Heimdal

Love Hörnquist Åstrand <lha@kth.se> writes:

> That could cause such a problem, if autoconf picks up automake-1.8 autoconf
> macros and then you run automake-1.9, things will go bad and
> autoconf/automake will tell you horrible errormessage that noone can
> understand..

I think you'd have to be quite determined to break it like that, at
least on Debian.  I haven't seen such problems rebuilding packages
with a later automake and with multiple versions installed on Debian,
but it can warn you about inconsistent versions of the tools it's
expecting.  Is this a problem of not relying on autoreconf or on
automake's maintainer rules to DTRT?

(For what it's worth, Heimdal's distclean target currently doesn't
clean up properly, but I don't think it leaves behind stuff that would
cause this sort of problem.)