Re: Future of kerberised telnet, login, rsh, ftp?

    Brandon> On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 09:20 +1000, Brian May wrote:
    >> Is there anything you can do in telnet that you can't do in ssh?

    Brandon> Recover when sshd is hosed / not running.  Backup access
    Brandon> mechanisms matter.

Ok, I will attempt to summarise why these clients are still used:

#1. backup system.

#2. ability to turn encryption off for speed.

#3. harder for attackers to break into every Internet site if anyone
    has a different program.

#4. "I use them, support them and want them."

I suggest we split the applications out of my main Heimdal code. That
way if there is a security issue found in these applications in the
future, only the applications need to be rebuilt to solve the issue,
and not the entire Heimdal distribution.
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>