Re: pkinit and krb5.conf [appdefaults] section

Matthew Andrews <matt@slackers.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> While setting up krb5.conf for pkinit I was reminded of a recent
> discussion in the thread titled "Re: Turning off hostname
> canonicalisation" about what sort of things should end up in the
> [appdefaults] section. I noticed the "pkinit-anchors =
> OPENSSL-ANCHOR-DIR:/dir-to-client-trusted-ca-hashes" in the
> [appdefaults] section. Is this used directly by kinit, or is it parsed
> by the libs? If this is entirely parsed by kinit, does that mean that
> any app designed to acquire credentials via the pkinit mechanism would
> have to parse this(or a similar directive) manually? I'm thinking
> about a pam module here(something that I may be looking into working
> on in the near future.)

They are today only onderstod by kinit, but I guess that code can be moved
to krb5_get_init_creds_opt_set_pkinit() in case NULL is passed in.

> also if this is parsed by the client libs shouldn't it go into
> [libdefaults]?

The whole file is parsed by krb5 library. The reason I used appdefault is
that the krb5_appdefault_string() function takes a realm element, so you
can have diffrent trust anchors per realm.

> should this be coordinated with mit krbdev so that if/when they
> implement some form of pkinit we don't wind up with 2 ways of doing
> things? If this has all been discussed before I joined the list then I
> appologize for not checking for archives.

Maybe it should, but so far I'm not sure this is the way to do it, we are
still testing what works good and is easy to configure.

Love

PGP signature