Re: Behavioural differences in Heimdal and MIT [was: Re: API differencesbetween Heimdal and MIT]

Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> For the systems that support PAM I'm guessing we should have a
> no-.k5login pam_krb5 (required*) followed by a pam_ldap (or pam_dbm,  or
> whatever) that only does authorization, not password checking  (required
> or sufficient).  pam_afs *should* only be a session module  to get the
> token and set the PAG, but that may only work on Solaris.

There is a pam_afs2 that uses the newly obtained or forwarded Kerberos 5
ticket of the user to get the token, and set the PAG.

> * A correctly configured ssh will get a forwarded tgt before you get  to
> the PAM chain.  Anyone know of any pam_ldap's that can be told to  just
> do authorization, maybe even to use a kerberized bind to do the  lookups?

The kerberized bind should be binding using the host's credentials, not the
yet-to-be-authorized user's credentials.

And providing alternatives to the .k5login for mapping principals to accounts
sounds like a good thing to have, as it could give the local admin better
control over the use of accounts.

--

  Douglas E. Engert  <DEEngert@anl.gov>
  Argonne National Laboratory