Re: Behavioural differences in Heimdal and MIT [was: Re: API differences between Heimdal and MIT]

On Feb 15, 2006, at 11:02 AM, Douglas E. Engert wrote:

> Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>
>> For the systems that support PAM I'm guessing we should have a
>> no-.k5login pam_krb5 (required*) followed by a pam_ldap (or
>> pam_dbm,  or whatever) that only does authorization, not password
>> checking  (required or sufficient).  pam_afs *should* only be a
>> session module  to get the token and set the PAG, but that may
>> only work on Solaris.
>
> There is a pam_afs2 that uses the newly obtained or forwarded
> Kerberos 5
> ticket of the user to get the token, and set the PAG.

Yes, I know.  I was just trying to be generic.  No slight was
intended, and anyone interested should google for pam_afs2.

That pam module ought to be part of the OpenAFS distribution and
built when aklog is built.  I wish you luck trying to get them to
take it on.

My personal opinion, as I said at the conference we were both at, is
that the aklog program ought to be a library like the obsolete kafs
lib that MIT distributes, or Heimdal's krbafs.  It ought to be in the
OpenAFS distribution, and it ought to be used by all the various OS-
specific things that need to do that function as part of login:  a
pam module on Solaris and Linux, a kinit plugin on MacOS, and who-
knows-what-else on any other OS.  Oh, and you use it to build an
aklog program like the current one as well.

>> * A correctly configured ssh will get a forwarded tgt before you
>> get  to the PAM chain.  Anyone know of any pam_ldap's that can be
>> told to  just do authorization, maybe even to use a kerberized
>> bind to do the  lookups?
>
> The kerberized bind should be binding using the host's credentials,
> not the
> yet-to-be-authorized user's credentials.

Authorization gets more into local policy issues than Kerberos itself
does.

Hypothetically you might get a cross-realm ticket and you want to
allow/disallow login based on whether the ldap server allows a
kerberized bind.  (The LDAP server knows who is/isn't allowed in from
the specific foreign realms.)  Alternatively, hypothetically you may
not want to give the host any special LDAP credentials and you need
information from LDAP that isn't publicly available.

> And providing alternatives to the .k5login for mapping principals
> to accounts
> sounds like a good thing to have, as it could give the local admin
> better
> control over the use of accounts.

I think we agree that we could use some more alternatives, and LDAP
seems like one that almost could work now.

Off Topic:  Anyone used mod_auth_kerb in combination with
mod_authnz_ldap in Apache 2.2 yet?  There was a presentation on this
at the last ApacheCon, but the person who saw it said it was all
theory and smoke and mirrors.  No real example config.