Re: conflict between heimdal and umich gssapi library and their consequences

On 9/1/07, Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:

> I'm fairly sure that for right now Debian is just living with the problem
> and conflicting the libraries.  That makes Heimdal almost unusable in
> Debian since the UMich GSS-API indirection layer gets pulled in by the
> NFSv4 support, which is part of standard.
>
> I'm still of the opinion that UMich was at fault here and they need to
> rename their GSS-API library to something else.  Heimdal was using that
> library name first, and regardless of how much more "generic" they think
> their indirection layer is, taking a shared library name that's already in
> use is frankly rather rude.  Picking a different SONAME version to start
> with clearly isn't sufficient, as we now see.

I regret any inconvenience our libgssapi library has caused.  We used
the obvious name and had no malicious intent.

I will rename our library to libgssglue which will require a change in
librpcsecgss and will require nfs-utils to be reconfigured and
recompiled (no source changes required).  I will put out new versions
on Tuesday.

K.C.