Problem with Special Characters in Password with Windows

I'm using heimdal in a client to do Kerberos authentication. However,
I've ran into a problem where if there are "Special Characters" in the
password, and I try to authenticate to a Windows server with Kerberos,
the authentication fails. If the password contains 7-bit ASCII
characters only, everything works fine.

I found this link that may be what I'm experiencing:
http://www.webservertalk.com/archive213-2004-9-373588.html
where Windows isn't using UTF-8 (which my client does) for the
password, and instead uses some code page.

Is this most likely my problem, or can there be other issues that
could cause this?
If this is my problem, is the fix converting UTF-8 to the appropriate code page?

Thanks,
--
- Jeremiah Martell
http://inlovewithGod.com