Re: daemons and init scripts

On Thursday 11 October 2007 19:25:23 Henry B. Hotz wrote:
> Per the man page kadmind doesn't take that option.  Instead it takes
> a -debug option that prevents detachment.

However, without either, it doesn't detach.

> kpasswdd doesn't take
> either option.  ipropd-* and kdc accept that option.
>
> On Oct 11, 2007, at 5:27 AM, Andreas Haupt wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just reviewed some of our init scripts that start heimdal daemons
> > (kdc, kadmind, ...). What I've found is that only the kdc daemon
> > supports a command line option called --detach:
> >
> > --detach                      detach from console
> >
> > Would it be possible that all (ipropd-master, kpasswdd, ...) daemons
> > support such an option? This would make it easier to write correct
> > init
> > scripts at least for RedHat systems. Its "daemon" function doesn't
> > send
> > started programs into background itself.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Andreas

Andreas, I believe you may be using my init script ... in which case adding:

MASTER_ARGS="--detach"

to /etc/sysconfig/heimdal should address the one mistake I have made in the
init script (fixed in svn).

If you can tell me how you got kpasswdd or kadmind to not start up, I will
look at having the init script report this better.

Regards,
Buchan