Re: kpasswd failed to lookup password server from DNS SRV

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 13:13:33 +0800
John Mok <jmok@attglobal.net> wrote:

> Hi Henry,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> It was a tpyo
>
> @ bogus.example.com
> _kerberos._udp IN SRV 1 0 88 kerberos.bogus.example.com
> _kerberos._tcp IN SRV 1 0 88 kerberos.bogus.example.com
> _kerberos-adm._tcp IN SRV 1 0 749 kerberos.bogus.example.com
> _kpasswd._udp IN SRV 1 0 464 kerberos.bogus.example.com
>
> I am using Heimdal 1.2. Since I could kinit the kerberos principal
> without setting the krb5.conf, I think the DNS discovery by SRV records
> is working fine. However, my problem is that I can change the password
> in kadmin but fail to change the password with kpasswd and the error
> message was  "kpasswd: krb5_set_password_using_ccache: unable to reach
> any changepw server in realm BOGUS.EXAMPLE.COM".
>
> Is it a problem of DNS setting? or I have to add more SRV records in
> order to make it work?

Do you have an A record for kerberos.bogus.example.com?

In practice I don't recall seeing kpasswd actually use _kpasswd._udp.REALM
to lookup the kpasswd server. It just uses the kdc according to the
krb5.conf. And if that's not set it will try _kerberos._udp.REALM.

Is there a firewall in the way?

The quickest way to find out what's going on is to get a capture.

Mike

--
Michael B Allen
PHP Active Directory SPNEGO SSO