Re: heimdal 0.3d ftp client

Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au> writes:

>     Love> You should check that the port-value was parsed ok (that is,
>     Love> using strtol). If that fails you should use
>     Love> getservbyname(port, "tcp") to see if it was valid port-name.
>
> well... ok, but my patch was only designed to fix a specific bug, not
> to add new features.

Yes, your patch fixed the bug, but removed functionality. Namely the check
if the atoi found a number or a string. And if you are going to change it,
you can at least change it to do what you expects it too (use
getsrvbyname).

>     Love> Then you'll need to check for tcp-port == 0, since it's
>     Love> reserved, and I'll guess the user will be confused when the
>     Love> connection comes from <Dynamic and/or Private Ports> range
>     Love> when they specifed 0 as port.
[...]
> This bit confuses me.
>
> Are you saying that there are programs that call ftp as
>
> ftp hostname 0

Users might do that. Look at a tcpdump and see what port your host is
using. Then tell me that you are not supprised.

Love