Re: readline, editline, sl and snprintf

    Derrick> and it's not relevant. linking an archive into a shared
    Derrick> object is ok on several platforms, solaris and x86 linux
    Derrick> included, because the linker does relocations. you can
    Derrick> trivially prove this to yourself if you care.

Sure Linux may support it (does the static archive need to contain PIC
code, or does it somehow work even with non-PIC code?), but does the
libtool version used support it?

I know 1.4 will, I can't comment on anything before that.

    >> I strongly suspect this is because the shared version of the
    >> libeditline is not built, because libeditline is not managed by
    >> libtool.
    >>

    >> 3. You are trying to link libss based on snprintf.lo (PIC code)
    >> and snprintf.o (from libeditline.a, non-PIC code).

    Derrick> i'm not, the current build is set up that way.

I wasn't trying to blame you for the mistake, but rather point out
"what the build process on your system was trying to do".

Sorry if I didn't make this point clear.
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>