Re: Heimdal and r* client programs

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 12:46:07AM +0100, Simon Wilkinson wrote:
> The patch is intended to work with both MIT and Heimdal Kerberos. Whilst
> its developed with the MIT code, I am keen to accept Heimdal specific
> fixes. If you believe there are issues with the Heimdal support in it,
> please let me have patches (and let me know which version of Heimdal you
> have tested them against).

There is a port of ssh to Heimdal made by Balazs GAL at
<URL:http://www.rit.bme.hu/~balsa/debian/ssh/>. Full source code
and diff file are supplied.

Currently there is concern though that if a single program pulls in
both MIT and Heimdal libraries (eg. via PAM and/or SASL), it will break
badly.

We are currently investigating this problem, eg. with the use of
versioned symbols. There are a number of gotchas though, which I don't
understand myself, so Sam Hartman was going to contact somebody who did
something similar before, with libdb.

So if you are only using Heimdal, it should be OK, but if you are using
a mix of ssh-heimdal and a MIT pam module (for instance), then beware!
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>