Password Reuse

Is there a good way to prevent password reuse with Heimdal?  MIT has
a policy for it.  Heimdal has a user hook where it *could* be
implemented externally.

Not sure the user hook is ideal since I think it's only called in
advance and wouldn't know if the change failed later.  I.e. a user
could try to change a password and it fails (after the user hook) due
to some transient disk problem (for example).  User gets stuck with
the old password and can't use his desired new one either, true?  I'm
also not looking forward to writing the code myself.