Re: Preauthentication failed

Hi Markus,

On Tue, 22 May 2007 22:36:02 +0100
"Markus Moeller" <huaraz@moeller.plus.com> wrote:

> From my experience Computer accounts are fine and we prefer them as user
> accounts have (in our environment) a password expiry which otherwise would
> mean exception for users with a service principal or the keytab will get
> invalid.

Ahh, interesting. I didn't think Computer accounts differed in this
respect. In fact it was my guess that Computer account password policy
was maybe hardcoded to expire reasoning that computers routinely change their
account password. But perhaps a Computer account for services would
be better.

> Look for Dan Perry's msktutil a tool you can use on your Unix box to create
> a computer account in AD and write the principal  into a keytab. BTW there
> are other tools doing the same.

Actually we have code for doing exact this sort of thing:

  http://www.ioplex.com/api/plexcel_gen_service_keytab.html

It's used by our setup script to allow the operator to create
an HTTP service account without touching the Windows side.

Mike