RE: libss collision ( for from FSH compliance)

[fixing top-posting and rearranging text for better readability]

On Wednesday, December 05, 2007 9:40 PM Love Hörnquist Åstrand wrote:

> >> ss should have fewer problems than com_err since there aren't the same
> >> thread safety issues.  Can Heimdal just use the e2fsprogs libss if it's
> >> already present?
> >
> > Does libss have the same "multiple APIs in the wild" problem though?
> >

> 5 dec 2007 kl. 13.57 skrev Hai Zaar:
>
> > Guys, please continue here, on separate thread.
>

> I'm fine with stop providing a libss if there alread is one in the
> system.
>
> Heimdal itself doesn't use libss, we use libsl.

I tried to provide enough to summarize and remind folks of
the issue. Here's a briefly stated summary:

The libss library and associated interface header installed by
the Heimdal package collides with the same named library and
header installed by the E2fsprogs package. The other conflict
(libcom_err) was resolved when Heimdal looks for and uses the
system libcom_err library if it is available.

Love posted (see above) "I'm fine with stop providing a libss
if there alread is one in the system."

Has there been any more thought about this? What I'm doing in
the meantime is patching Heimdal to install the libss library
and header, but with different names (libss_krb, or something
like that).

Anyway, that's a hack, but it works and it cleans up the
conflict with the E2fsprogs version of the library. I'd be
happy to provide a patch to configure.in and Makefile.am
that would look for and use the system-installed version of
the libss library, but I'd like to know what functions are
actually being used from the library so that it can be tested
at configure time for compatibility.

Is there any desire to continue to try and resolve the issue?

--
Randy