Re: Login prompt when starting services after FreeBSD port install

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 05:14:08PM -0400, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 15:37, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
> > However .... check the contents of your /etc/make.conf. If you've
> > redefined the location of some of the "HOME" variables (like
> > HEIMDAL_HOME), that might be causing a problem.
>
> Right again!

Which part was right? :-)

> How would this cause the problem? And how can I get back those system
> files?

Because those variable control where the port installs files, it's
possible for it to clobber the system files. If you then uninstall the
files, they'll be removed. That's one possibility I can see for how your
system files might've been removed.

A good default is to simply not set a HEIMDAL_HOME (or any other _HOME
variable for that matter) in /etc/make.conf unless you have a specific
reason to change it and understand the implications of that change.
Ports generally do "the right thing" if left to their defaults.

Restoring your files can be done from a backup or from something like a
"make installworld"[1]. Rebuilding the port after cleaning up
/etc/make.conf can install the Heimdal port files in the "normal"
location.

Note that Heimdal is more-or-less integrated into FreeBSD already -- the
port isn't necessary (though it does provide some shiny bits over the
integrated version). See the Handbook chapter for details.[2]

-T

1. http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html
2. http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kerberos5.html

--
Page xxviii: More than any other computer system today, Unix will repay
every moment that you spend learning and experimenting.