Re: Login prompt when starting services after FreeBSD port install

On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 10:22, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
> On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 07:42:03AM -0400, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> > Yes, I am on 5.2.1-RELEASE. The files I know are missing so far are
> > /usr/bin/login and /usr/bin/su. Do you know of other files that this
> > would have cause a problem? Maybe I should restore all files to that
> > directory. But would there be any files in other directories?
>
> /usr/ports/security/heimdal/pkg-plist is the list of files that you're
> looking for. Note that all paths are relative to where the port is told
> to be installed, not absolute.

Wow, a bunch of them. Can you tell me how to restore these files from
the CD? I looked for a document for this on the FreeBSD site, but
haven't been able to find yet.

Also, since you're a Heimdal guru and use FreeBSD yourself....just would
like to understand what FreeBSD does by default. You said that it loads
Heimdal by default and I now know why it seemed like it was already
installed when I first started messing around with it. The reason I used
the port system is because I was trying to get LDAP backend working, and
still not working :( I'll worry about getting that going once I get
things back to normal.

I guess the default installation of Heimdal does not place Kerberized
system files like the port does? Also, I noticed the /etc/rc.d/kerberos
and /etc/rc.d/kadmind do not start anymore after the port install, now
using /usr/local/etc/rc.d/kdc.sh and it starts fine. Are the other two
not starting merely because the files are no longer present and they
should start -or- are they replaced by the port version? I have this in
my /etc/rc.conf:

kerberos5_server_enable="YES"
kadmind5_server_enable="YES"
kerberos_stash="YES"

Again, I really appreciate your guidance on this, I know I am close to
correcting my previous mistakes.

--
Robert